Monday, March 3, 2008

Lao Thai Kitchen

Restaurant Information


1406 Solano Avenue
(between San Carlos Ave & Santa Fe Ave)
Albany, CA 94706
(510) 559-3276


Rita: I was pretty excited to try out this place because I've never been to a place that allegedly serves Lao, Thai AND Soul food. Well, I tried the Thai and they've got that down. I definitely want to try their soul food at a later time. This restaurant was cute, complete with trinkets and a wannabe half-hut inside that serves as a booth for the waitress. Speaking of the waitress, I thought she was very accomodating and this could be attributed to the fact that there were only 2 tables of customers during lunchtime. The food took a little while to come out, but was worth the wait. I believe the restaurant is run by a Thai/Lao wife(the waitress) and a Black husband(the cook). A word of warning, this restaurant has two doors that you have to push through to get in. It has the usual wooden door outside and a screen door inside. I guess they open the wooden door in the summer and use the screen door to protect the customers from insects? Anyways, just be careful not to walk into the screen door...it's kind of painful.

Menu


Food Pictures


Pumpkin Curry with Chicken, Fried Tofu and Vegetable Soup

Rita: WHOOHOO! This is the only Thai Restaurant I know that serves pumpkin curry and is not all the way in Richmond. There were pieces of pumpkin IN the curry! The flavor was excellent and the texture was perfect. I had asked for my dish to be medium spicy, but was slightly disappointed to find that the dish wasn't very spicy at all. I don't completely regret it though, too much spiciness could have masked the flavors of the pumpkin and chicken and I certainly don't want any of those tastes diminished. My dish was originally supposed to have the vegetable egg rolls, but I wanted try the fried tofu. The waitress allowed me to make this change at no extra cost and the fried tofu was average tasting. The sweet and sour sauce definitely made the fried tofu taste better, but not by much. The vegetable soup was also just ok, the vegetables were on the soggy side and the soup was too sour.

Fried Bananas and Ice Cream
Rita: Just looking at this picture makes me want to go back to the restaurant. If you think this dish is just two fried blobs and vanilla ice cream, you are seriously mistaken. The ice cream was vanilla flavored with coconut chunks mixed in AND honey drizzled on top. The fried bananas were made so perfectly warm, with a crunchy outside and creamy center. Mmmmm. Delish.

No comments: